Thursday, March 24, 2011

Blue Collar Work Ethic


When I ventured into the "real" world to begin my career I originally started off in construction.  More specifically I was a carpenter and the area of carpentry that I focused on was New Home Development Framing.  I enjoyed working hard as an individual and co-operatively to achieve a common goal.  As well after a full days work, standing back and seeing something that was not there 10 hours ago is quite rewarding.

Making the transition into the corporate world I then applied the principles that I had learned the previous 4 years in the trade.

  1. Working Hard All-Day:  Having the drive and the "backbone" to work until the job is finished or there is no longer daylight with which to see (and sometimes after working with flood lights) was extremely valuable.  Not thinking in hours but in tasks has allowed me to put forth the effort required to stay until the job is done.
  2. Preparation:  When it's your body on the line you have to think the of the most effective, least time consuming, and the least physically tasking manor in which to perform a task.  Our brains whether we think of it as one or not is a muscle and therefore will fatigue as one.  Being able to engage in a project or a conversation with a prospective client after you have planned can greatly reduce your level of stress which will allow you to deal with any situation or task at hand more effectively.
  3. Big-Picture Thinking: Now I admit that unlike goals that you may have and are working towards they may not be as tangible as when I was building an exterior wall. But if you could envision your tasks as the walls and the house as your end goal you could start to build your awareness towards your own vision.  This can help with not getting caught into the habit of "watching the clock".
I believe that when referring to construction we refer to it as an "honest days work" because of these principals.  Not one of these traits is beyond anyone's ability.  Like the great John C. Maxwell often says " You just have to be intentional" .

No comments:

Post a Comment